Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Facing West
























I've done a lot of paintings recently but haven't wanted to post any
of them. Or show them to anyone. They just didn't look like me or
I didn't recognize anything of me in them. And then it seemed I should
just accept that this is me, this is the way I paint. So I did and slowly,
it dawned on me that it was the paint itself or lack of painterliness
that was bothering me. I was using more and more paint with a
little walnut oil but the paint still seemed brittle and flat when it dried,
not juicy. This is painted over a previous image as an attempt to just
putter. It was fun to drag dark colors into and over lights and not worry
about overshooting edges, just keeping everything soft, finding an edge
if the composition seemed to need it. Most fun I've had in awhile.

6 comments:

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

I think we all go through periods of discontent with our art. I like to think of it as a growing stage. I have to put more effort in, do whatever I need to do to make me happy again.

This is a great composition Lorraine....very striking and very well painted.

hmuxo said...

I love your paintings of buildings....it is you and I LOVE them! I re-visited your work again and I really love Sunny Corner!!!! So beautifully painted.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I love an active surface - this one give me a real lift, Lorraine and I can see it is one of yours. Your " buildings " series has held my attention since the start.

Carol Flatt said...

There's something about working on top of an old painting or on top of a wipe-out that really helps me feel I have a place to start. I feel rather "free" to add, change or modify what was there without the "weight" of decision-making for the whole process because a lot of the decisions have already been made. If I choose, I can dwell on reformation of a particular area or areas without having the gravity of starting from scratch. I feel it frees me up to play and explore with exuberance (fun!) without the pressures one has with a blank slate.

Don't know if this makes any sense at all, Lorraine, but I hear what you are saying and have felt the same. You know how much I admire this building series on which you've been working!

MYSTELIOS said...

Very beautiful painting with so nice colours !!!

Linda said...

Beautiful! :)