Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Break Time


























I had thought this was finished a few days ago but I had 
spelled out every leaf and it seemed wrong. So I set it aside 
and did the study I posted yesterday before tackling it again. 
I love painting this tool because of its ruby-red throat . . . it 
seems like it has a heartbeat. Is it sick to anthropomorphize 
a tool? That's kind of what we're all trying to do as painters: 
bring life to paint? Animate the inanimate? I had once 
thought of painting as self-indulgent because it doesn't really 
help anyone but then Daily Paintworks offered the Help Japan 
challenge and raised quite a lot of money! "Splendor in the 
Mess" did sell by the way and proceeds will go to the Japanese 
Red Cross. 

Thanks so much to all of you who are so supportive and take 
the time to comment and encourage!

5 comments:

Randy Saffle said...

The red and gold glow! What a cool painting, very cool.

Randy Saffle said...

Also, eveytime I've painted something more than once It has always improved. This is something we should all do more often.

Virginia Floyd said...

I like the angle on this chisel, directly away from the viewer. You did an excellent job on the perspective, but it is still very loose and suggestive. The red throat is beautiful, glowing on the canvas!

claire christinel said...

Thanks for the comment Lorraine. It was a great community event and I'm pleased to say there were a number of little red dots! Gotta love that!

suzannepaints said...

Wait! You are always bringing beauty to the world. Love it.