Thursday, February 21, 2013

Downtown Bridge 2

























I painted two other street scenes before trying this one again.
I wanted to simplify and orient towards achieving a sense of light
and abstraction. I left the trees out this time because I liked the
variety of color in the wall at right and didn't want to cover it up.
The things I admire in other painters' work, like different colors/shades
over a flat surface, I usually don't allow myself to do or I do it, then
smooth it out in the end. There's something about being faced with
a literal subject that makes me forget I don't want to treat it literally.
My perspective is off which is an easy fix but tackling this scene again
was a good learning experience overall.









3 comments:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

It is always neat to see another artists explorations and even though I like both of these it is interesting to notice the differences.
You are such a good painter, Lorraine and your surface has lots of energy and that excites me.

Linda Popple said...

I like both of your paintings and the differences are interesting. You are so good at experimenting and exploring your art and I really admire that. It results in beautiful paintings!

suzannepaints said...

well done, Lorraine. Love the downtown scenes. Very believable.