Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Couple


























When I woke up yesterday, I didn't feel my usual drive to paint. 
But then the alternative would have been to clean house and there 
was no drive to do that! I needed a shot in the arm and had read about 
painting on mylar so thought I'd give it a try. The surface isn't that 
different from gesso but for some reason, it gave me permission to 
focus more on the paint than the subject—experiment rather than produce. 
When I look at this, it feels like I didn't paint it. Which might be a good 
thing to clear out old preconceptions about how my paintings "should" look. 
Thinking I'll use PVA glue to mount this to a gessoed panel . . . if anyone 
has experience mounting mylar, please let me know what works best.

3 comments:

Linda Popple said...

This is lovely. I've never painted on mylar. Maybe I should give it a try.

Jean Ranstrom said...

This is ethereal, something about the delicate grays you have found with your colors and the juicy paint. I think you are definitely on to something

Virginia Floyd said...

This is lovely. My problem lately is that I'd rather clean than paint! I would just do anything rather than paint. I finally managed to trick myself into painting today by "cleaning up" my workspace. I tweaked some old paintings, but I now am excited about an idea for a new painting.